This section contains articles on
various museums and historical attractions in
Facts and history
Many people refer to Stone Town as the capital of Zanzibar, however, this is
incorrect. Stone Town is in fact the old quarters of the capital Zanzibar
House of Wonders
Built in 1883 it was once the ceremonial palace for Sultan Barghash. The locals
named the palace Beit-al-Ajaib, meaning the House of Wonders, because it was
the first house with electrical lights....
The Palace Museum is a house of history. Once the home for members of the sultan's
family, the building serves today as a museum with exhibitions about the
Peace Memorial Museum
The museum used to exhibit records of the history of Zanzibar. Although the main
museum building is closed down, with most exhibits now in House of Wonders...
The Old Fort
The massive fort was once built for defense against the Portuguese and a rival Omani
group. Today it houses various craft and souvenir shops and a restaurant...
The Old Dispensary
The original plan for the building was to become a hospital. Later on there was
a dispensary set up on the ground floor. After renovation it houses today
various offices as well as an exhibition of Zanzibar handcraft...
The Old Customs House
Since 2002 the former Customs House is used as the Zanzibar Conservation Centre
including an exhibition about the history of Stone Town. The upper floor is
used by the Dhow Countries Music Academy...
Forodhani Gardens has been constructed in 1936 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee
of Sultan Khalifa. The garden is a popular evening meeting place amongst locals
The former Slave Market
Guided tours of the former Slave Market show the dark history of Zanzibar. The Anglican Cathedral and St. Monica's Hostel stand on the location of this historical site...
Tippu Tip's House
Tippu Tip was one of the most renowned slave traders in the East African region.
His residence until his death is situated just a couple of metres from The
Africa House Hotel...